Monday, July 9, 2007

the profile pic

The profile picture, of me throwing water on a cyclist, was taken at the Livermore Hills RR in 2006. It was over 108 degrees that day; I thought I had brought enough water, but one of the juniors had virtually no water and we ended up sharing. Needless to say we ran out real fast. The volunteers finally brought water to us and we quickly became the neutral feed and spray zone. It was so hot my daughter and I were huddled for shade under the umbrella I happened to keep in my van. One official came over and asked to use our shade for a cyclist on the edge of heat exhaustion. I then became nurse as I applied wet cloths to her and poured water over her hair. Just a few minutes later the official brought another lady who needed our shade - same story.

Meanwhile, our 9 year old who had just finished his race was being tended to by Dad. I wondered what was taking so long and found out it was because Jon was throwing up - he actually threw up 8 times. Just this week, Jon and I were reminiscing about that race and Jon said, "Yeah, it was weird because even while I was throwing up I kept thinking how much fun I had and I couldn't wait to do it again."

We were so miserable that day and irritated on the way home. I was never so happy to get home from a race and forget about it.

I noticed that the race isn't happening this year. It's a great course, maybe a sunny day in November would be better!

TODAY WE PACK!

1 comment:

imike said...

Good report, hope you keep them coming this week !!