Friday, July 13, 2007

the time trial




Team Slipstream support

The best rider in today's 17/18 time trial goes to Worlds - so the best juniors in the United State are out here. What an opportunity to get out there with the best - throw down what you can do and see how you stand.


Don't know what Nano's standing is - he did the 20k in 30:07 - the fastest time was in the 25 minute range. I could not believe the equipment!!! The photo above shows the support for the junior slipstream. Rock$Republic was


also there with $upport cars, van$, "monogrammed" di$k wheels. Wow.
Anyway, just a side note to give you all an idea of how "big" this race is. I tend to down play stuff like this and wasn't really thinking about it in terms of "the nation." But after this morning, seeing my first real race, I am a bit in awe and realize more than ever how great it is to be here.


Here are some photos of Nano warming up and about 150 meters from the finish:





warming up



the hurt

Here are some photos of Jon at the start:











Jon with 3 seconds to go

Nano helping Jon to stay loose
Jon completed the 10K in 21:20 (18mph average). He says, "it's because of the bike I did so well." (shout out to Stefan!) The finish was a gradual downhill to a 700 meter gradual uphill. I was standing at the 200 meter mark yelling to Jon to shift to an easier gear and to spin.....he was standing up and just working his bike in a hard gear. After words he told me, "mom, I was too tired to take my hands off the handle bars to shift."

Brentley with 9 seconds to go.

Joseph had a great start. His challenge in the time trial is finding the right balance between going hard enough with out going too hard. He got off the start before I could get a photo. :) He placed 16th out of 57. There were records being beat out there today. The fastest 14 year old did it in 14:50.
Joe spent the afternoon with Andrew's family and Brentley. Those young men finished the day as 14 year olds will...more bike riding (including getting caught in the rain), going FAST on Alpine Slides, watching Myth Busters at the AMD condo, and of course eating.

As soon as the results are up on USACycling I will link the page from my blog.

Thanks to all who are keeping up on the races.
Sunday morning - crit
Tuesday morning - road race
Will keep you posted.
Here are some photos of Joe's time trial start that I was able to copy from Jennifer's camera:

count down begins

down with 10 seconds to go...

and he's off!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad everyone is having fun and that the TT went well! We'll be praying for the other races!

ME!!! said...

glad that everyone is getting along well. We'll be praying!

I miss you!!!

imike said...

good job guys !!

tdude said...

thanks for keeping us updated - i enjoy reading your blog. sounds like lots of learning is occurring. fun too.
we love you and miss you.
drtd
drth